Thursday, January 20, 2011

Adventures in Sleep

Sleep. For most people sleep is a peaceful respite from the waking world. 7 or 8 hours of rest that refreshes and renews the mind, body and spirit. Often filled with wild, wonderful dreams, the average person looks forward to sleep. True people sleep less than they used to back in the day. Still people look forward to sleep generally.
Me? Not usually. See my sleep is not always restful, my dreams are rarely wonderful and I struggle to stay asleep.
I have night terrors. Nearly every night I will wake up screaming, thrashing, yelling - a blind panic with no idea why.
It's a challenge to be sure and is made worse by the fact that not every night is bad. In fact, weeks can go by without and issue or only minor ones (wimpering, whining - all things that Hubby can soothe with a hug or snuggle).
The big ones can end up with me somewhere other than bed, shaking, sweating and confused. I have been known to baracade the door, throw the cat outside, rip my jewelry off, drag all the blankets and pillows off the bed and even end up sleeping on the floor.
Bedtime is an adventure and Hubby is very patient.
The past few nights have been particulary rough. And even taking a nap can have me shaking and panicked. Just tonight while Hubby was sleeping before he went to work I was out on the couch watching some TV and fell asleep. It couldn't have been for very long but I had an episode that had me struggling to get into the bedroom.
I spent the rest of the evening snuggled up with Hubby sleeping fitfully and interupting his nap.
Hubby is so sweet and it is so much better when I can sleep when he does. Unfortunantly, school starts back up next week and that means I need to get back to sleeping like a normal person. No more 3rd shift for me.
It will get better, I'm hoping.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry for everything, honey, and I hope I can always be this patient with you. I love you.

    ReplyDelete