Friday, January 28, 2011

I'm no baker...

Well, today I tried a recipe I've been sitting on for awhile. Cake Pops! I discovered this recipe on MckMama's Blog. Her photo's are beautiful and she posts some fun recipes.
Anyways, she did a post about Cake Pops and I really, really wanted to try them. But, while not complicated, it seemed beyond my abilities.
I'd slowly acquired the ingrediants and supplies and psyched myself up to make them. I had hopes of making a trial run and then making up a batch for a Superbowl party coming up.
Today was the day. I atempted to make them. To start with a made up the cake. Easy enough, I got a boxed mix and whipped it in no time.
And then it went wrong.
I over baked the cake. Not bad, mind you but it was annoying nontheless.
Next came frosting. I decided homemade was best so a began mixing. I over softened the butter, used butter flavored frosting so it was BUTTERY, then I accidently used too much vanilla.
I pushed on. Crumbling the cake, so big deal. Mixing in the frosting, nasty feeling, but not too bad.
Then came the worst part. Melting the chocolate.
Sigh.
It took longer to do that correctly than it did to make everything else. Melting chocolate is a fine art, apparently.

One batch turned chalky and seperated. Nasty.
But finally I got it to work, and then came dipping.... and keeping the cake balls on the sticks. I think I bought sticks that were too thin, and too long. I had to improvise how to let them set. The long sticks made it difficult to keep them upright.
Finally I got it worked out.
I'm not sure I want to make them again.
Though, they do look nice all wrapped up :)

1 comment:

  1. What do you think of MckMama? I'm intrigued by her, and actually liked her... but then I read MckMama Without Pity and now I'm just scared ha. I go back and forth between "MWOP is crazy" and "oh, nope, MckMama's crazy."

    ReplyDelete